Thursday, July 17, 2008

Best Birthday EVER!!!!

So, you may find this hard to believe, as I'm living in a foreign country far, far away from my family and my long-time friends, BUT... today was my 28th birthday, and was the best birthday I have EVER HAD!!!

Let's start with this morning... Sean and I have been quite good about having "dates" once or twice a week, where we use our video cameras so we actually get to "see" each other. So, at 6:30 am this morning, I got to spend an hour with my sweetie. Before we talked, though, I had checked my e-mail, and he had taken the time to scan my birthday cards (yes, that's right, he couldn't make up his mind so he got me two - I think I'm rubbing off on him!) and send them to me, because we're still a little unsure of how things take to get here. Very sweet! So, we chatted for about an hour, and then I got ready for work in my sassy little red dress that I had worn to my going away party (thanks again, Waldo, for sewing my button back on!).

Now, let me give a little background. In Holland, on your birthday, it is the birthday boy/girl's responsibility to bring in their birthday treats. That might not seem so fun, but think about the disappointment that we all have inevitably had on our own birthdays when NO ONE has remembered. Okay, now you get me... this idea is actually GENIOUS, because this way, if you want to celebrate, everyone knows, and if you don't, then no one finds out. So, I made the funfetti cupcakes that Michelle had graciously brought for me from the US, and then topped then with homemade cream cheese frosting. The cream cheese is a bit different consistency here, so the frosting was a little melty... but still yummy. I brought these into the office, and at 11:30, everyone came by and we had a little celebration. So... on your birthday you also get birthday kisses from everyone - that's right. You kiss your co-workers. In the Netherlands, this is three kisses - right, left, right, or left, right, left... I don't think it matters. You don't REALLY kiss, more just like making the noise and putting your faces together, but you can if you want to. The Italians actually plant a smackeroo on you. This whole thing kind of freaked me out to begin with, but now I kind of like it. :) So, after all the kissing, I actually did a little work. :)

My colleague Lisa took me out to lunch and out for a bit of shopping (where I think I bought the most expensive bra and underwear set I have ever had in my entire life, but I digress...), and then I came back to the office to try to work a little more. But... then I got a call from the front desk, saying that flowers had arrived for me. They were from Sean. Now, if you know Sean, you know that this is a bit out of character, which made it all the more special. I'm on the verge of tears at this point... happy ones. I was completely overwhelmed by everything good that had happened so far. Then, something else good happened... my friend Lupe, who I met almost 10 years ago when we studied in Spain together, called me from the States. This woman is one of the sweetest ladies I know... even though we don't talk or e-mail very often, she has made it a point to call me every single one of the birthdays that I have had since we left Spain - she has tracked me down in Toledo, Ohio, Portland, OR, and now the Netherlands, despite frequently changing locations and phone numbers. So, okay, then I lost it. I'm sitting at my desk, absolutely filled with love, happiness, and appreciation for all of the wonderful people that I call my friends, crying happy tears. But, duty calls, and I need to suck it up before yet another meeting begins.

My workday ended with an emergency call from the development team... they were having a costing crisis. But, alas, I got to their area, and all the developers were standing in a line with sheepish looks on their faces. They made me go down the line, each of them giving me my birthday kisses, and, at the end of the line, the last person gave me a gift - a CD that I really like here that is not offered on US iTunes (Amy MacDonald - Scottish singer - check her out if you can!). I got back to my desk and received another very lovely phone call from Waldo (and a lovely homemade card from her as well - thank you!), and then finally made my way back home. I got little done in the workday, but went home feeling like maybe, just maybe I'm going to be alright for my time here.

Finally, I got home and then later Karyn met me at my place. We went for a really nice dinner at the restaurant across the street from my apartment. It was so nice to share my birthday dinner with such a lovely lady. We've determined that even though we are total opposites (she likes to sleep in and I have a hard time forcing myself NOT to set an alarm, for example), we are great for each other. I'm so thankful to have such a great friend here. :)

WARNING: THIS IS MUSHY! I want to take this time to thank all of my friends and family for being so wonderful. Even though I'm far away, you have done such a nice job of making me feel special and loved. I am so blessed to have so many wonderful friends... that's part of the reason that it is so hard being away. I miss and love you all!!! xoxo

5 comments:

Aunt Christine said...

Glad to hear you had a great birthday, Kristen and that all is going well in the Netherlands. Happy #28 from the Piekarskis as well. You just amaze me! Love your blog. I check it almost every day.
Love, Aunt Christine

Susan Kelley said...

Happy Birthday Kristen! I am so glad to hear that you had a great one. You deserve it! I've really enjoyed reading your blog, keeping up with your adventures. It's really cool how much you're taking advantage of living in Amsterdam. I hope to visit in the near future, although I'm a bit nervous about your nine-milers in the rain...
:D
We miss you!

Carolyn said...

Happy Birthday!! Consider yourself kissed!

Carolyn

Tony, Amy, Brady and Kayley said...

Aww Kristin! Happy belated Birthday! Sounds like a great day! Way to go Sean!
We think of you all the time, and can't wait to see you! Enjoy your weekend.
Love Tony, Amy Brady and Kayley

Michelle & Luke said...

Woohoo! I am feeling about 99% ROTTON for not calling you, but I hope you'll forgive me & keep me on your list of friends :) hee hee- happy birthday my friend!