Sunday, August 1, 2010

Good Stuff

Yes, a generic title this time... but it's the only one I could come up with that truly captures my life over the past few weeks... it's been all "good stuff".

I can honestly say that I can't remember any other time in my life that I have been so uncontrollably happy. The whole "re-entry" process to the US has been difficult at times, but I'm really starting to feel like I am getting in my groove. I've had a few great weeks with friends, enjoying some of my favorite things, and pushing myself to experience some new things as well...

One thing that is relatively new is that I've been swimming. My friend Krista is an amazing swimmer (she is in an underwater hockey league!), and, when we were at the coast a few weekends ago, volunteered to teach me how to swim. It's pretty pathetic that I turned 30 without knowing how to swim... but... that's the way it was. So... Krista started meeting me on Wednesday mornings at the Nike gym to teach me all kinds of important things - like how to open my eyes under water. Yes, seriously. ;) It's getting SO much easier, and I'm really enjoying it. I think I've even talked myself into doing a triathlon next summer. I know, I know... I never do anything halfway. :)

The other new thing is that I got a DSLR camera that totally rocks my world. If you could be in love with an inanimate object, I am in love with this camera. :) I see so much beauty in the world around us that I am so happy to have an instrument that will better capture this... The pictures on this entry were all taken with the new DSLR, so hopefully you can see the difference. I only wish I would have had this in Amsterdam to capture all of my amazing adventures there.


Playing around with the camera...

Last weekend, Michelle and I drove up to Seattle to see one of my favorite artists, Amos Lee. We drove up on the early side, so we could enjoy the city before the concert began. We went to one of my favorite places for lunch, Elliot's, and, of course, I had to take pictures of my food:


Crab Cakes... oh so yummy!!! :)

After an amazing lunch, we just walked around the Pike Place Market, home of the famous flying fish... so many beautiful flowers there, and an amazing selection of seafood:



The concert was that evening near the Space Needle... what a beautiful setting to listen to beautiful music. It was "green concert", so to lessen the carbon imprint (yes, this is the Wild West Coast here), the artists all performed acoustically without their backup singers. It reminded me of the first time I saw Amos Lee way back in 2005... since then, he's been touring with Dave Matthews and his music has changed quite a bit... It was an amazing night spent with a great friend. :)


Waldo & K Pitty


The Space Needle, as seen from my spot in the grass... amazing.

The next morning, Michelle and I met up with one of my friends from college, Christina, at my favorite breakfast spot, the 5 Spot. Amazing food as always, and great to catch up with a friend I haven't seen for 3 years. :)


5 Spot = Yum City! :)


K Pitty enjoying a cup of coffee... should have known better - coffee makes me CRAZY!! :)


Yes, the picture-taking of food has resumed... hard to resist when it is SO yummy! :)


Aw, such great friends. :)


Um, yep, pretty sure that somewhere on my resume, the title "dork extraordinaire" appears...

After breakfast, Michelle and I went to Gas Works Park, which is an old oil refinery that has been decommissioned and turned into a public park... it is a beautiful setting right on the water with views of the city. Such a relaxing morning... We had such a great time having a "photo shoot" with the new camera. More dorkiness ensued... ;)


Gas Works Park...


She can run, she can jump... :)


What a beautiful day! :)


Downtown Seattle...

This past weekend has been just as great... I went whitewater rafting on Saturday with a great group of people, mostly from my kickball team. We rafted on the White Salmon River, and managed to NOT lose anyone in the rapids. We did get mighty wet, but that just added to the fun. :) Unfortunately, I totally forgot my camera for this trip, so there are no incriminating photos. :) After rafting, I went camping with a special someone... I have to say, for all of my time in Oregon, I never really got into camping, but, the time spent there was just so peaceful and relaxing, I have a feeling I'll be spending a lot more time doing that in the future. :)

All in all, just enjoying life... and still smiling. Much love to all my friends and family! :)

No comments: