Sunday, September 28, 2008

Normal Things

You know, not every week can be a new adventure... it's been great seeing all of these amazing cities, but I'm exhausted! :) This weekend, I decided that what would be the MOST fun would be staying in town and having a "normal" weekend. Friday, I worked from home. It was an absolutely beautiful day, and I went for a great 6 mile run at lunchtime (well, it was kind of 6+ because I got lost). That evening, I met some girlfriends from work for an amazing Italian dinner, and just enjoyed "time with the girls" much like I used to do back at home... except one had a British accent and the other a Dutch one. :)

Saturday, I got up on the early side and went to play 9 holes of golf with my co-worker Richard. He's a really talented golfer (2 handicap), and always has a tip or two that really helps me out. I think I played all of my shots, and I even hit a ball out of the sand. I'm really improving, which makes me happy, because it's been a long time in the making! :) I'm to the point where I actually ENJOY golf, which is a long way from where I have been. I don't count how many holes I have left anymore - in fact, I was shocked when we got to our 9th hole that we were already done. :)

When we got back to Amsterdam, it was still gorgeous, so I went for another run. I started feeling pretty sick about halfway through my run, so I was glad to be pretty close to home. I had some plans with co-workers for that evening, which I ended up cancelling because I progressively got sicker and sicker as the day went on. I'm pretty sure it was the flu, although I never actually got sick. Still, a pretty sucky way to spend a Saturday night. I did, however, get my DVD player unlocked to be able to play US DVD's, so I spent the night with my favorite 4 women - the characters of Sex and the City. I absolutely love that show, and seriously think that I could have contributed to the scripts with some of my own stories! :) I've also been working on my album for my adventure here - I have been scrapbooking for over 10 years, and this album has been my favorite to work on so far.

After a somewhat restless night (my neighbors were having a party, which proceeded to wake me up at midnight, 1:00am, and 3:00am), I got up early to start my journey to Rotterdam, which is another pretty big city in the Netherlands, and the country's largest port. One of my co-workers, Gulsun, lives there with her husband, and they are restoring a house that was built in 1895. I had volunteered to help them, and so this weekend, I drove down for a day of painting. I had a fun time with them, and got to meet some of their nice friends. The house is going to be absolutely beautiful when it's finished! :)


Hard core painting chicks!


Way cuter picture!!


Gulsun's husband, Olov (l), and friend Irae


Olov took me back to my car riding Dutch-style! I almost peed my pants I was so scared riding on the back of his bike! :) But now I'm a pro!

1 comment:

Michelle & Luke said...

I cannot believe you rode dutch style! you zany girl. That looks super scary, and i am very glad you did not fall backwards and crack your head open. phew ;0)