Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Nice Reminder

So, a lot of you know that I used to do the Big Brothers, Big Sisters program when I was in Portland. I mentored a little girl named Kayla for 3 years, starting when she was 8. Over the years, we did a lot of really fun things, and got to know each other pretty well. I helped her read, she helped me have fun. It was a good balance. :)

This week has been a pretty rough one, so I was so happy to get a nice hand-written letter in the mail from Kayla. Here are a few of the sentences that absolutely brought me to tears:

- "I really miss you living here. Now that you are gone it is kinda more mellow."

- "Weather here is horrible sometimes. It's like you're a rainbow that makes a day better after it rains. So that means when you were here it was awesome and now that you're not it isn't that great."

- "Have you tried any foods that you think are good? Have you tried any foods that you think are gross?" (if only she knew...)

The whole thing was very cute and very sweet, and it made me feel really good to know that maybe, just maybe I was able to touch the life of a young one. Definitely reminds me how much I left behind and everything that I have to come back to.

Kayla and I at a BBBS event a few years ago

1 comment:

Michelle & Luke said...

OH, that is so awesome- of course you made a difference- whose life have you intersected & not touched? such sweet words from her- and all are true! we miss you- and it is more mellow w/o you :(