Thursday, February 5, 2009

A New (Running) Endeavor

Alright, so I've run many a race in my life, including several Hood to Coasts and another relay called "The Relay" in California. Now, I've got my eyes on a new relay... it's called the RoPa Run. Evidently, it used to be run from Rotterdam (Ro) to Paris (Pa), but now, because people from more Eastern countries complained about having to come all the way back from Paris, the race goes from Paris to Rotterdam. Now, this relay sounds much different than the other relays that I have done... Let me explain...

There are 2 vans (this is the same as H2C), each one has 4 runners and 2 bikers (here is where things get REALLY different). Van #1 goes first (obviously), and Runner #1 runs 2K (a little over 1 mile), while the bikers ride along with the runner. After 2K, Runner #1 gets back in the van and Runner #2 does 2K. I'm not clear on exactly how many times this happens, but, in total, each runner runs 65K. Now, to sum that up for you, it's about a marathon and a half... in 40 hours.

Why am I doing this? Well, perhaps I'm a bit on the crazy side... but, in reality, I think I've been looking for a physical challenge since I've moved here. When I lived in Portland, I used to do some sort of race every other month or so... since I've been here, all I've done was one 10 mile race. I'm not sure if I've just been adjusting, if I haven't been looking, or if I just didn't feel like it, but I kind of feel like a part of me has been missing. Sure, I go for runs on the weekend, sometimes with friends, but it's nothing like the 8am Saturday date I had with my running partners for the past 5 (?!?!) years!

This is feeling more like it... we had two group training runs this week, and it was SO lovely to get to be out in the woods running with a group of people. I absolutely loved it (even today, in sleet!).

Here's the catch... there are about 30 runners that want to participate, and only spots for 16... so, this is a Try-Out! When I went to the informational meeting and heard that, I got a pit in my stomach, much the same way I used to get when trying out for something in high school. That's the thing I love about running - you can do it your own way - fast, slow, early, late, whatever. So, a little freaked out about having something that is so personal to me EVALUATED... but, I think it's worth it. So, I've been trying to run just a little faster and a little longer every day, and, hopefully, it all works out. If nothing else, I've met some really nice runners, so, maybe, just maybe, I can bring that running group to life here in Amsterdam. :)

I'll keep you posted... :)

3 comments:

Susan Kelley said...

Wow, that sounds _so_ fun. I can't wait to hear more about it. It would be SO fun to get a group together for next year!

Carolyn said...

Wow... that is intense. Good luck at the try out!

Michelle & Luke said...

KP- this is INSANE! But that is why it is right up your ally :) I bet you will kick ass at this! go get 'em tiger! woohoo! seriously though- a marathon & a half? you've lost your brain.