Monday, June 22, 2009

Another Weekend in Holland...

With all the change that is going on at work, I've been making a conscious effort to relax... Fortunately, I was able to keep my job, but it's become much bigger, so I'm finding less and less time to just chill out. Friday night, I turned down a few invitations that sounded fun, and instead, treated myself to a massage. It was fantastic! :)

Saturday, I had a great long run along the beautiful Amstel River, then met Winnie for lunch at the Bijenkorf, a nice department store with a cafe on the very top floor of the building. Winnie went back to the US on Sunday, so it was nice to get to see her one last time before she left. :) When I was walking back to the tram (or so I thought), I took a wrong turn, and ended up in the Red Light District! (I also did this on my first weekend here, but, man, I thought my sense of direction had improved since then!). I stumbled upon the Old Church, which was great, because I had been wanting to go to the photo exhibition that was there, World Press 2009. It's an amazing photo show of all of the best news photography of the past year. I really, really enjoyed it!
The organ within the church
It was fun to see the modern photography within the walls of this ancient building - a nice contrast
After the photo show, I drove to Rotterdam to hang out with my friend from work, Gulsun. I saw this as I pulled up:
This is a tradition in Holland... when the student gets passing grades at the end of the school year, they hang their bags out the window to celebrate.
Gulsun and I had a great time hanging out, and then I spent the night there. We got up on the early side to go to a bikram yoga class. Now, if you have never been to one before, let me describe - it's yoga in a really, really hot room, probably 100 degrees. You sweat out all the "toxins" in your body during the course of a one and 1/2 hour class. I kind of enjoyed it, and kind of couldn't wait for it to be over... not sure if I will do it again or not! :)
Had some nice time to relax and work on my scrapbooks on Sunday, and then met an out-of-town guest for dinner. Ended the weekend feeling rested and caught up... only to start work again today and feel totally overwhelmed again. :( I think it will be better within a few weeks, but for now, I barely have a minute to think, let alone chat by the water cooler. :(

No comments: