Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Sad Goodbye

This weekend was one long goodbye. Time is up for my dear friend and favorite travel buddy, Kristin Jones. I couldn't be more happy for her though - she's moving back to Portland to live with her fiance, whom she will marry in August. It was still super hard to say goodbye though! Good travel friends are hard to come by!

Friday night, Kristin, Karyn, Gulsun, and I went out to dinner at an amazing restaurant (and I don't say that about many in Amsterdam). The service was absolutely the best I think I have EVER had - US, Europe, Asia... anywhere! The waiter described in perfect English the taste sensations that we would have in our mouths - I could taste the food before we even ordered. We didn't have to beg for a refill of water, and were even given a bottle of water for free (a sheer miracle in a somewhat, ehem, tightwad country). The food was amazing. I'm on a vacation diet right now (South Beach, if you are curious), so I'm really limiting my carbs. Despite this, I was still able to come up with a 3 course meal that was absolutely delicious!


The second course - leg of lamb with polenta and artichoke-esque vegetables

One kind of interesting thing about the restaurant was the location - it is RIGHT in the middle of the redlight district - kind of a calm pocket surrounded by absolute chaos. As we left and wandered back into a sea of tourists trying to catch a glimpse of the girls, I took this picture so you can get an idea of what it looks like:


Pictures of a prostitute in her window are forbidden, but each red light you see has a scantily clad woman dancing in a window underneath it... kind of hard to get used to!

I went home feeling very content. I got up the next morning for my long run, which for part of I had company - my friend Dana and her son Issac. :) This was the first run we have been on since she moved here, and it was nice to have the company.

I finally made an appointment to get my hair cut, which was long over due - the last time I had it done was February! :) I felt like a new woman. I was starting to get pretty sad about KJ leaving before my haircut, so we made arrangements to meet for a drink afterwards. What was supposed to be a quick drink turned into 3 hours of laughing & remembering all of our fun experiences. I also got to be a part of KJ's last plate of bitterballen... that strange Dutch delicacy:

mmm... fried mystery meat!

Sunday morning, it was a tearful goodbye at the airport as I dropped of KJ, her cat, Moose, and 4 suitcases at the airport. I'm going to miss her so much, but the fact that we will eventually end up in the same city is reassuring. Instead of weekend trips to Istanbul or Scotland, now we'll take a quick trip up to Seattle or down to San Fran... not bad! :)

I was feeling pretty down on Sunday, and I think that my friend Leslie could hear it in my voice when we were talking on the phone. She came over to meet me for lunch, and then we had a nice bike ride to find a good location for my 4th of July picnic this weekend. Hanging out with her totally cheered me up. I am a very lucky girl! :)

A lot of exciting things are coming up: 4th of July picnic this weekend, a trip to Sicily with my colleagues next week, my last birthday that begins with a 2, and a visit from Sean! My, how this summer is flying by!

I think I have my trip to Portland confirmed - I'll be there August 21st through September 6th or 7th. I'm running Hood to Coast again (I think this makes my 7th year!), and working from our World Headquarters. Can't wait to see everyone in beautiful PDX! Order me up some good weather! :)

No comments: