Friday, February 12, 2010

Looking back on the past two years...

What a long, beautiful trip this experience has been... I arrived here on Tuesday, March 25, 2008. Since then, I've stretched my mind and my comfort zone to places I never thought I would. I've travelled to places I'd never even heard of before I moved here. I've eaten amazing food and tried the local beverages both bad and good. I've listened to native music and joined in on local dancing. I've made some of the most amazing friends I have ever had, transplants from both home and places far away. I've laughed a lot, and cried my fair share. I've loved and lost, and loved again. This experience was one that was a risk... it meant taking two years out of the life that I had grown into so comfortably in Portland, one that was full of amazing friends, a man that I love, my wonderful, supportive family, a workplace that nurtured and grew me, beautiful nature, and my native tongue. What I didn't realize when I left was that I wasn't putting my life there on hold - I was just letting my life grow to become even better. It wasn't always easy, but the tough days only made me stronger. I am so thankful that I have had this amazing experience.

Ready to start the next chapter... I'm ready for whatever life has in store for me. :)

To my friends in Amsterdam- thank you for the smiles, the laughs, and for sharing your life with me. For my friends back in the US - I can't wait to share the small things once again.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I can't believe it has been 2 years all ready. Thanks for all your wonderful post. You made me feel as if we were right there with you!