Friday, April 11, 2008

A Night at the Symphony, and Other Items of Note - Week 2

So, I've officially survived two weeks in my new job. Things are going well... I just have to keep reminding myself that I have to take things one day at a time... I wasn't an immediate expert at my old job either, and, even though I know the nuts and bolts of the position, the people and processes (or lack thereof) are all different. So, I need to give myself a break in other words! Eating the elephant one bite at a time has never been my strong suit though, I must say.


The most significant event outside of work this week was that I went to my first concert at the Concertgebouw this week. I've found some pictures on the web (I still don't have my camera!), so I'll attach them here for reference:
The Beautiful Concert Hall, built in 1888
The Interior - Picture lots of arches and golden accents
So, the reason that I went to the symphony? Well, honestly, I love going to the symphony. It's something that I didn't do nearly enough of while I was in Portland. There's something about 50 violin bows in unison, or a French Horn solo, or the confidence of the symphony director that gets me really jazzed every time. But, the reason I went to this specific show was this: it was the symphony orchestra from Cincinnati, Ohio - my home state! I walk around a lot during the weekends, and I kept passing signs for this show. I figured that, as the concert hall is only about a 15 minute walk from my house, I really had no excuse not to go. There was a violin soloist that was pretty amazing, and then the orchestra performed a few other pieces (Pärt, JS Bach, & Sibelius if you are curious!) Who did I attend this event with? Well, it was magnificent company made up of me, myself, and I! :) I got over the fear of going places alone a long time ago - it's actually quite refreshing, although I have to say that I'm looking forward to the day when I have a nice list of friends to call on!

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

How cool that you wen to the Symphony AND that they were from Ohio!

Carolyn