Saturday, April 19, 2008

Randomness

Some things are really different here... I'll just start with that statement.

Last night, I left work a little early, because my friend Nadia (who has also just started in the Hilversum office) was looking at a few apartments in a nearby city (Utrecht) and wanted a second opinion. We went and looked, and we think we found one. Afterwards, we checked out the town and had dinner at a cute Italian restaurant right on the canal. It was great (well, until all the smoking started - I am SO looking forward to June, when smoking will be banned!).

Fast forward to driving Nadia back to her hotel... we're driving along in Hilversum, and all of the sudden, we see lots of flashing lights and men in yellow jackets. I had no idea what was going on, but figured it was an accident or something. Not quite... it was a "drunkenness check station". The police officers stopped every car and made the driver blow, blow, blow. For some reason, Nadia and I thought this was just hilarious, and I couldn't stop laughing to blow into the little contraption. I think the guy was getting annoyed with me, but, not to worry, eventually I pulled it together and passed the test. Thank goodness we had stopped at one glass of wine!

So, that's my random story from last night... heading for the famous tulip fields today, so hopefully I'll have some pictures posted tomorrow (a HUGE thanks to my lovely friend Karyn, who has let me borrow her camera for the weekend!). Anna and Travis arrive on Sunday, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing some faces from home!

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

ohhhhhhhh...... can't wait to see the Tulips!

Carolyn