Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Wheels, wheels keep on turning!

Okay, folks... look out! Crazy American driving in the Netherlands!! I picked up my car on Monday - it's a very sporty, very stylish (joking!) TEAL VW Jetta. Now if you know me, you know that several years ago, I had a slight OBSESSION with teal... my clothes were teal, I painted my bedroom teal, etc. So, I'm a little sick of teal! I laughed out loud when I saw the car, and then began to panic as I realized that I actually had to DRIVE it! I made it home that day with no big problems... I was never super confident that I was going the right way, but I kept seeing signs for Amsterdam (pretty much the only word I knew on any street sign), so I knew I was okay. Parking, which I was pretty worried about, has not yet been an issue. When I start to work a little longer hours, though, I think that might be the case.

The next morning, Tuesday, I decided to try driving to work instead of taking the train. White-knuckled, I set out on my journey. I knew I should be hitting the highway pretty soon (I live in the South of the city, which is right above the highway), so when I began to see the canals of city center, I almost started crying... I had somehow missed a turn, which I discovered today is NOT MARKED (missed it again!). Anyways, made it to work in about an hour and 15 minutes, even with the delay. I'm starting to learn a little Dutch - FILE means "traffic jam", and I saw a lot of signs with File on them - never a good thing!

On the way home yesterday, I was feeling confident... I had made the same trip the day prior, and had no problem. However, when I got up to the highway that makes a ring around Amsterdam, I wasn't exactly sure which way to go. Well, I picked wrong, and made a ring all the way around the city. It was a nice tour, but added about 30 minutes on to my trip!

This morning, again missed the turn, but realized it immediately. Made it to work in about 45 minutes. Yee-haw! I had no problems on the way home tonight, and even pumped my first Dutch gas on the way home... which is actually diesal - many cars in the EU run on this fuel these days.

To sum things up, I'm feeling much more confident on the roads. I'm getting used to the bicycles, which rule the streets, and figuring out how everything fits together... I'll get there.

Another important note - I started work this week. Things could have had a better start - I didn't have a badge (which is required to get in and out of buildings - kind of important), and no laptop either. I've been in orientation the past few days, so the laptop issue really is a non-issue. Fingers crossed that it's here tomorrow. Orientation was nice - I met quite a few people that I think I'll keep in touch with, including a few Dutch people that have committed with me to "one Dutch sentence a day". :) So far, I know "I don't understand" and "There is a car accident on A10".

I'm doing well... no major breakdowns to report... just a little homesick from time to time. In orientation, lots of videos were shown, and a lot showed Portland and WHQ. I'm embarrassed to admit that I got tears in my eyes a few times at the sight of my former home. I'm pretty happy here, and making new friends, which helps.

Thanks to everyone for all the e-mails!! Keep me posted on what is going on at all of my various "homes". Miss you!

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

That must be weird driving over there. Not knowing where you are going and not being able to read the signs. You are a brave girl!!
You are doing great. I love reading your adventures!

Carolyn