Tuesday, May 6, 2008

London - Day Four: The Most Expensive Starbucks EVER, Museums, and a Taste of India

One thing I haven't mentioned yet is how expensive everything is in London... here's some simple math for you... take the US dollar... now multiply by 2. That is roughly the way things go here... something that would cost $1 in the US costs one pound in London, which equates to $2. So, my little morning venture to Starbucks on my last morning cost me about $12 for my normal double tall latte and muffin. Ouch!
After my gourmet breakfast, I went to the British Museum:
The Exterior of the Museum
Something pretty cool about London is that many of the public museums are free. This is one of them. Some really interesting objects are housed here, including:
The Rosetta Stone (famous stone that helped historians to decipher Egyptian Language)
Pieces of The Parthenon from Athens
On top of that, the entry way is really cool - it's bigger than a football field!
After this quick history download, I went to have a little Indian feast for lunch. It was so delicious! I need to find a good Indian place in Amsterdam!
My Indian Feast! Yummy!
Following this, I made two more stops. The first was to the British Library, which houses some pretty famous and important pieces of literature, such as the Gutenberg Bible (the first book produced using a printing press in the West), Beowolf, the Magna Carta, and many others. It was pretty cool to get to see some of these works.
The British Library
My last stop was to the National Gallery. While I don't really "get" modern art like at Tate Modern, I am building an appreciation for this "real" art, as I like to call it. It was enlightening to get to see the works of da Vinci, Rafael, and many others.
The National Gallery on Trafalgar Square
After this jam-packed day of learning, I made my way to the airport, and gladly got on my plane "home". It was a great weekend, and I feel like I just barely scratched the surface!
On a positive note, my shipment from the States arrived this morning, so my apartment is in a mad state of chaos as I attempt to put everything away. Pictures coming soon...

2 comments:

Kayle said...

Kristen I cannot believe how much stuff you saw in London! I am really impressed :) And I am sorry I didn't warn you that the changing of the guards is a total bore.... I stopped taking people when they came to visit me!

Michelle & Luke said...

Hey!! sounds like you had an amazing time! I was EXHAUSTED just reading about all the places you went--- I don't know how you got it all in. I miss you lots & can't wait to see you!