Thursday, June 19, 2008

It's not easy, being cheesy!

As promised, here are the pictures from my day with Michelle in Gouda. Sunday morning after our long run (which we got lost on - I seriously need a running GPS!), we got cleaned up and drove about an hour south east to the town of Gouda. This is where Gouda cheese was first made, but, because the name is not trademarked, Gouda cheese can actually come from anywhere now! Because it's a pretty small town, virtually NOTHING was open on Sunday (Amsterdam has some things open on Sunday in the city center, but NOTHING in my neighborhood is open, just to give you an idea). But, the important things were open - the cheese museum and a nice outdoor restaurant. Michelle and I strolled around the city for a while (it actually took about 10 minutes - it's TINY!), and then eventually made our way to a cute outdoor restaurant, where we began our day of cheese eating. We had a cheese plate for an appetizer, which had about 6 different types of cheese on it. Michelle was in HEAVEN! After lunch (and WAY too much beer!), we went to the cheese museum. The museum basically showed the steps to making cheese. It was pretty interesting, especially having Michelle there, since she actually MAKES cheese! :) There was a museum guide, who was this really cute old man, but he only spoke Dutch. That didn't stop him from telling us his whole speech! He took us all over the museum, trying to use sign language to explain what he was saying. I would say we understood about 25%! But, it was really cute that he tried. I think his museum time just might be a fun hobby of his. After the museum, we had pretty much seen everything, so we made our way back to Amsterdam. Dinner that night? Why an assortment of cheeses, of course!!! :)
The Main Square in Gouda
Me at the entrance to the town hall
Michelle about to enter her very personal heaven!
Cheese, cheese, cheese!

K Pitty the Milk Maid
The rest of the week with Michelle has been a lot of fun... we've both been working during the day, and then having dinner at various places in the evenings. She got to meet my Scottish friend Julieann on Tuesday, when we cheered Holland on to victory again, and my Italian friends Fabio and Alex on Wednesday, when we had Thai food with them. It's been a truly enjoyable week.

Quick update on my work life (I know, I know - this is boring, but it IS where I spend a significant amount of time!). Things have gotten much better... this week was a real turnaround for me. I think that, as they say, the "lightbulb" has gone off and everything is just clicking. I have a great team to work with, and I really feel like I'm adding value. The costing class that I've been preparing for is next Friday, so I'm hoping that goes well.
Michelle and I leave tomorrow for Dublin, and return on Monday. I'll update my blog on Tuesday or Wednesday with more fun pictures!!
Alert! Alert! I'm coming home to Portland in August. I fly in on August 20th, and I leave again on September 2nd. The trip is a combo - half work/half fun. Mark your calendars - I can't wait to see everyone there!! :)

No comments: