Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Mosquitoes!

Okay, so I think that I'm a fairly tolerant person. With that in mind, I have to say that I'm losing patience! One of the best parts about living in Portland was the lack of mosquitoes, which I had learned to hate while growing up in the hot and humid weather of Ohio summers.

Anyways, I'm having a flash back to the past here in Amsterdam. The mosquitoes here are SO BAD, and I think I must be especially sweet because they seem to be attacking me more than anyone else that I know! Here are the issues: 1. It is hot at night, so I open the windows (air conditioning is a bit of a foreign concept here). 2. The windows have no screens, so the mosquitoes come in and have a little party on my body while I'm sleeping. 3. I wake up looking like I have the chicken pox (seriously, I have 5 bites on my face as of right now - MY FACE!).

It's really getting ridiculous! Last night, I slept in a long sleeve shirt (despite the heat) to try to protect at least the upper part of my body. Well, I guess I must have been hot in the middle of the night, so I pushed up my left sleeve past my elbow. Wouldn't you know - I have three bugbites on my left arm - one in the really inconvenient location of MY ELBOW!

Well, I've decided that it is time to fight back. I'm leaving work early today so I can get home before the drug store closes. I'm arming myself with some super strength bug spray. This weekend, I'm going to do my best to figure out where to by screen material, and I'm going to make screens for the windows and nail those suckers in! THIS IS WAR, MOSQUITOES!!!

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Oh I hate them too! Good luck with your battle!

Michelle & Luke said...

oooh- go get 'em tiger! they should know better than to mess with you!