Sunday, March 15, 2009

New Introductions and New PR's

Alright, so let me just start this post by making this statement: if I have kids, I want to have them in the Netherlands (okay, I realize this isn't super realistic since I only have a year left, but... read on). Since a lot of my friends back in the States have already had kids, I kind of know how the system works: basically, you work up until your water breaks, then you give birth and are out of the office for 6 to 12 weeks, possibly paid, possibly not. You're in the hospital for a few days, and then, wham, you are a parent on your own at home. Scary!

I visited my friends Dana and Kevin Tastet (also from Portland) on Saturday morning. Dana couldn't have planned her pregnancy more perfectly... she gave birth to their first son while they were on assignment in the Netherlands. Here is how things work here: by law, you must leave work one month prior to your due date. Dana had plenty of time to relax and not think about work, e-mails, meetings, or any of that stressful stuff for the past month. Most Dutch women give birth at home (okay, THAT part freaks me out a little bit), but there is still an option to give birth at a hospital. Dana did that, but was home within a few hours of giving birth. And, no, not by herself. I'm not sure exactly how long this lasts, but there is a NURSE that comes to your house from 9 to 5 (maybe a little different hours, but basically this) and does your laundry, makes your meals, and helps you with all the questions you inevitably have with this new little life in your hands. This is amazing!!! So, during the time I was there with the new little family, both the nurse and Dana's midwife were there to help. How amazing is this!


This is a Dutch tradition when you have a baby - cookies topped with either blue & white anise seeds (for a boy) or pink & white (for a girl)


The happy family


My snuggly new pal - Issak Honn Tastet


The midwife needed to take Issak's weight - this is how they do it here - had to take a picture - she looks like the stork! If only it were this easy... ;)

After visiting the Tastets, I made my way to Centraal Station to meet my friends Leslie & Erik, who were accompanying me to the Hague, where I ran my first half marathon since I moved here. Checking the weather reports earlier, it looked like perfect weather - 50's and sunny, so I didn't wear a rain jacket. But, I DID wear the new TEAM USA olympic tank that I got at a recent Nike Sample Sale. Had to show my American pride. :) Unfortunately, when we got there, it was raining and windy... not exactly ideal weather for a race, and even less ideal when you don't have a rain jacket. I had brought a sweatshirt jacket for after the race, so I wore that, because I knew I would be miserable with nothing. Luckily, the rain stopped shortly into the race, and I had an amazing run. The miles slipped by really easily, and the 1 hour, 47 minutes it took me to complete the course seemed like 1/2 hour... seriously. It's something that I can only describe as "Runner's High" or being "in the zone". This was my new personal record for a half marathon, so I was really happy with my time. Erik & Leslie met me at the finish line, and we made our way through the charming city of the Hague to find a place to eat. I think I have a new favorite Dutch city... I seriously fell in love with this place, and can't wait to go back! :) We found a restaurant with GOOD customer service (if you have been reading you know how enamored I am with the customer service in Amsterdam!), great food, excellent atmosphere, and amazing music. It was a truly euphoric day.

Representing Team USA... and trying to stay warm inside the Centraal Station in Den Haag
Leslie's "WTF" face after looking at the size of her cheeseburger

1 comment:

Michelle & Luke said...

oh my- your time is super super impressive to me!! And i have to say i am super jealous of your frinds dutch birth experince. Gotta go- I'm hopping on a plane to come see you & give birth over there!