Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The FOOD!!!

Okay, so if you know me, you know that I LOVE to eat (thankfully, I also love to run, otherwise, I'd have a wee problem on my hands!). I went on a pretty serious diet for the three and a half weeks before vacation so I could eat whatever I wanted and not come home any fatter than I already was! :) Final tally - pre-vacation weight loss - 7 pounds. Vacation weight gain - 3.5 pounds. When you see what I ate, you'll be wondering how this is possible! :) I tried to take pictures of anything unusual that I ate... hopefully this is as fun for you as it was for me. Otherwise, more to come...

Pizza our first night in Catania... we got in really late, but were starving. I ate this around midnight, and it was mighty tasty! This was probably my favorite pizza the whole trip (despite half of it being burnt!) It was called Pizza alla Norma, and was made with eggplant and ricotta cheese. Eggplant is really common in Sicily, and I ate it at least once a day! :)
The morning after our pizza, we made the two hour drive to Palermo. We ate at this restaurant, which is famous for its fried yumminess, on our first night there. It didn't disappoint (I even loved my fried spleen sandwich... yep, that's right!)
We rented a house for the 7 of us in a town called Letoianni (which we fondly called "Little Johnny"), and cooked dinner there three times. Okay, I lied. ALEX cooked us all dinner, and we happily ate every last bit on our plates. This evening, we started with a caprese salad (mozzerella, tomatoes, pepper, olive oil, and basil), and finished up with figs covered in melted gorgonzola cheese. Sound strange? Maybe a little... was it delicious? You betcha! :)
Pure yumminess - the figs + gorgonzola & caprese salads... we couldn't eat any more after this, even though Alex had planned for Pasta Carbonata!
Something that is really popular in Sicily (because it is SO darn HOT - over 90 degrees F every day!) is the granita... it's shaved ice with mainly lemon or almond syrup... my favorite was the almond one. So refreshing on a hot day!

So, I have a little rule that I try not to break when I go to Italy - AT LEAST one gelato a day. This day, this happened to be my second, and i don't have a problem with that. This is supposedly (from two guidebooks) the best gelato in the WORLD, so how could I NOT try it? :) This one was interesting - it was rose flavored. Tasted kind of like eating a flower, but it was so deliciously creamy and smooth... mmmm....

Since Sicily is surrounded by water, there is tons of fresh seafood... I decided that I had to try a seafood pizza, just because I thought it sounded kind of crazy. And, let's just say, pizza and shellfish DO NOT go together. :(
Our cheapest meal of the trip... Alex, Fabio, and I all ate for 10 euros - TOTAL at this Italian mama's kitchen. These were sweet dough filled with all kinds of yummies. I had... eggplant! :)

Another fun Sicilian food tradition - brioche con gelato. It's an ice cream hamburger. And, yes, I ate one!

Our evening tradition on our wonderful terrace - Spritzes! :) Alex loved to entertain and serve us these yummy Italian aperativos! :)

This was most likely the best meal I've ever had in my entire life! Karyn and I went out on our last night to celebrate my birthday! The location was amazing - we ate on the terrace of a restaurant that overlooked the sea and the Taormina beaches. This was a "cannoli" stuffed with swordfish... my main dish was also amazing!

Happy Birthday to me... the chocolate cake was my pick, of course! :)

Swordfish is one of the most common fish that is caught in Sicily... this was the first one I had ever seen, at a fish market in Catania... it really does have a sword! :)

My lunch on our last day... I had to try it, because it was Triglia fish, like my mother's maiden surname.
Sean's here this week, so the diet is off, but I'm back to it after he goes back to Portland! :)