Monday, July 27, 2009

Being Spontaneous!

So, like I said, Sean and I spent last week together... actually, I just took him to the airport (boo hoo). We had a great time re-connecting and building on what we've been working on over the past few months. Every time we see each other is great, and it always feels better and better.

We shared an amazing dinner at Blauwe aan de Wal (where I went KJ's last weekend in town) to celebrate my birthday one week late. We had an amazing dinner and a nice "date night".

Happy after a yummy dinner!
We decided on Friday night that we wanted to have a little adventure. Because Belgium is pretty close, we made that our destination. No bookings, no plans, no nothing. This is NOT travelling KP-style, which made it all the more fun (at times...)
First stop... Antwerp. We had a nice lunch in a cafe, and enjoyed just walking around.


Love on the main square
Our end destination for the day was Bruges, which I hadn't been to yet, but had heard was a cool town. It definitely did not disappoint. We enjoyed seeing the city, but were totally exhausted after a night of not much sleep. We needed a nap, big time (okay, I especially needed a nap. Happy KP quickly becomes Grumpy KP with a lack of sleep!). We went from one hotel to another, and everything was fully booked! :( (this is where the planning junkie in me was starting to this this spontaneity thing was a bunch of crap!). We finally were able to find a place, and after an hour nap, I was SO much better!
We spent that evening drinking beer and just walking around the beautiful city. It was totally relaxing...
Happy again on Markt Square
Beautiful Reflections on the canal

Minnewater Park

My sweet boy...
Oh boy... I had help drinking all of this beer, I promise! ;)
We didn't get up until 10 the next morning, which was so nice! We made our lazy way out the door, and walked back to the market square to get the view of the city. That's usually the first thing I like to do when I get to a city to get the lay of the land. It was beautiful to see all the tiled roofs & canals...

View from the top of the bell tower

Chocolate at one of the many chocolate shops in Belgium - so amazingly yummy!
We took a tour of the "Half Moon" brewery, which was fun. The best part - we got to sample the beer at the end! :)
The Half Moon Blonde Ale
After this, we drove to yet another cute Belgian town, Gent, where we stopped for lunch. We then made our way home and enjoyed our last evening together. It's always so hard to say goodbye, but the good news is that I'll be in Portland in less than a month! :)

1 comment:

Michelle & Luke said...

Oh boy- your blog kept me busy for quite a while! thanks for the pics & the smiles. I cannot wait to see you & give you a big fat hug! I can't believe you did a spontaneous trip- i am truly impressed ;) hugs to you my friend!