Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Another Medical Mystery

"What is this thing?", you may be wondering. Is it a fancy measuring cup? Is it a tool to change the oil in a car? Is it for Dutch pannekoeken stroop? No, no and no. What is it? It is the container that I had to submit my "sample" in for a bladder infection test last Friday. Yes, that's right. No sterile container. Not even a lid. I get to the doctor's office, and the girl at the front desk simply hands me this container, tells me to go into the bathroom, and then tells me that she'll be waiting for me when I came out. Much to my dismay, she was not where she said she would be, so I wandered around the doctor's office with my "sample", trying very hard not to trip (those of you that know me well know that this can be a challenge at times!). Anyways, miracle of miracles, my test was positive (this is not the miracle), and I was able to get antibiotics that day (this is the miracle - Dutch doctors very much believe that the body needs to "heal itself", so getting antibiotics is pretty much unheard of). Anyways, I know that you all love my stories of the medical mysteries of this Dutch wonderland, so there you have it. :) Oh, and I'm all better now. Whew!

1 comment:

Michelle & Luke said...

ahhhh i am NOT ok with this- it looks like a coffee cup! (bet that is one mistake you'd only make ONCE!) ugh. hm. peeing in a cup throws dignity out the door, but peeing in a gravy tureen is a whole new level of mortification. cheers to the dutch ;)