Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Never-Ending Journey

As I returned home from Athens on Sunday, which will be my last trip (sniff, sniff) before coming home, I came across this article in the airline magazine. I know that this grand adventure of mine leaves some of you with questions about why I travel alone a lot of the time or how I have the energy. Well, this article just sums up my feelings about travel completely. So, if you are wondering, here you go (by Peter Alatsas):

In the famous novel, "Zorba the Greek", by Nikos Kazantzakis, Zorba is full of dreams and a zest for life that includes misplaced optimism. This fictional character is a metaphor for the appreciation of joy and sadness that co-exist in life. Hardship and disappointment are a function of everyday life, but their effects can be minimised with travel and restoration. Travel offers a change of scenery. Anecdotal evidence suggests that a mere change of scenery is both relaxing and therapeutic, and helps restore one to a state of well-being, much like the effect of a good cry. Such is the complexity of life. Maintaining a positive mental attitude even in the worst of times is essential. A pathos to keep on going when all else fails or when things can't get any worse is easier said than done, but not impossible. Positive words, in a way, acts as catalysts or as coping mechanisms. Often times, certain negative words like "loneliness" and "boredom" become self-fulfilling prophecies in that you get the behaviour you expect. Imagine a world without these words. Let's take them out of our vocabulary altogether. Let us not become a manifestation of the very negative words or ideas that we think and speak. On final reflection, perhaps it's the beauty of a place that brings out the best and worst in us. The mythical gods blessed Greece with an abundance of beauty, words, and stories to inspire and invigorate the body, mind, and spirit. And, of course, without a past there is no future. Perhaps this is why the relentless pursuit of meaning is an endless endeavour in such a place, as well. Nowhere is this more prevalent, at least in my view, than in Greece. You will invariably enjoy the trip. The journey, however, never ends.

Wishing you all a beautiful journey that includes whatever makes you happy. :) For me, I know it's travelling. :)

I know I owe you a post on Athens... I'm working on it!! :)

No comments: