Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Pork-a-palooza AKA a weekend in Luxembourg

I spent this past weekend with my friends Leslie and Erik (of Carnavaal fame), in Luxembourg. We had planned on going in December, however Les and Erik both got sick, so we had to re-schedule.

Luxembourg was a lovely country with lovely people. Only 450K people live there, and about half are ex-pats living there to work in the banking industry. That said, it's pretty amazing that they have their own language. If you listen to someone talking and don't listen to the word - the lilt of it is like French. But, if you listen to the words, it's very German in nature. Quite interesting. :) And a very useful language to know, I'm sure. You know, just in case.

We all had the same idea in mind - a nice weekend with good food. :) We drove down on Saturday morning, which took about 4 hours. That day, we just kind of walked around and got the lay of the land.

We stopped at this amazing chocolate shop, called Choco Shop. They have the most amazing little set up. They give you a cup of steamed milk, and then you pick the flavor of chocolate you want to stir into your milk to make hot chocolate. Yum city! :)


My hot chocolate in the making...


View across the riverbed to the big bank.

We just wandered around then until dinner-time. I managed to find a pair of black sparkly boots that I couldn't live without. :) We had a few drinks over in a part of town called Clausen before dinner. This place was amazing! It was an old brewing district that had been converted to new themed bars. We were at one that was a Flinestone's theme - sounds hokey, I know, but it was amazing! :) The only bummer is that they still allow smoking there - I can't stand smoke!

Dinner that night was the pork-a-palooza! Every single dish was some sort of pork! Erik, Les and I all ordered different dishes and shared. I was about porked out by the end! :) Another important moment in my life happened over the weekend - I lost my snail virginity. I seriously thought Erik was joking when he suggested ordering escargot, but he told me he was serious - it's one of his favorite things. So, I have the mindset that I'll try anything once, so I did. And I LOVED them. Just had to pretend they were mushrooms - much more do-able with that in mind. ;)


Escargot


Moment of truth...

Pork-a-palooza

Erik, Les and I at Mousel, where we had dinner


We had a nice night out, just going from one bar to another and checking out all the locals. Not too crazy of a night - we were in bed by midnight. :)

The next morning, we just wandered the city. It used to be a fortified city, with big walls all the way around it. For some reason, a lot of these walls were torn down in the mid 1800's, but there are still enough around to get the idea. It was beautifully picturesque.

Beautiful abbey in the city


Les & Erik with Lux
You can still see part of the wall in the left
I truly enjoyed the weekend. It was a nice, laid-back break before this weekend... Athens! :)

2 comments:

Michelle & Luke said...

snails?NO. DIY hot chocolate: YES! yum city!

Susan Kelley said...

Let's see these sparkly boots!