Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Newcastle!

I left for Newcastle on Monday evening with little expectations... I had booked this trip in such a hurry that I didn't have time to think about it! :) The flight took about an hour from Amsterdam. I arrived without issue, and quickly found a very kind taxi driver named Keith to take me to my hotel.




As we drove into the city, I was expecting (okay, I guess I did have expectations) a tired, industrial city. What I found instead was a charming city with several beautiful bridges crossing the Tyne River, along with various gorgeous churches, and, of course, being England, their local football (read: soccer) team's stadium. My hotel had a beautiful view of the city, and, believe it or not, I didn't take any pictures!! At 8:00 that evening, Kevin, the merchandising director, picked me up for a dinner at an old monastery, which is also thought to be the oldest restaurant in Europe. It was very charming, and the food was great. I got to meet one of the other employees that I would be working with the next day at dinner that night, and we had a great chat, because we were all runners. :) When runners get together, you better hope you are a runner too, because the conversation quickly turns to a boring string of numbers, splits, race experiences, etc - all of which are facsinating for runners and boring as hell for those that are not! :) I tried a local dish at the restaurant, which I couldnt' pass up because of the name - bubble and squeak. Basically, it's potatoes with cabbage, but I like calling it bubble and squeak better. :)



After a nice evening, I had a great night's rest, and then woke early in the morning so I could go for a run along the Tyne River. The weather was great for a morning run, and I really enjoyed getting in an outdoor run, as I've been running inside on a treadmill for the past couple of weeks. My new friend Keith the taxi driver picked me up and took me to the office, where I quickly learned why the British are known for drinking tea - I drank no less than 7 cups of tea at work that day! Every time I was done with one cup, someone else was coming around with a tray, asking if I'd like another cup of tea. Why, of course! :) It was a really great team, and I feel like my meetings went really well. It's always fun to see a new city, and after just a small taste of this one, I can't wait to go back.



Did I mention Keith? Well, that friendly guy picked me up again at work and took me back to the airport. I think he liked having guaranteed fares for a few days, and I enjoyed having a familiar face to talk to. We talked about everything under the sun during our ride to the airport. The most striking thing - his knowledge of American politics. Thankfully, I knew who the UK Prime Minister is right now (Gordon Brown), but I don't even know what party he's from! This taxi driver knew ALL about American politics, and had a very keen interest in my thoughts as an American. I better read up! :)



Here are some pictures of the city that I downloaded since I didn't think of picking up my camera:






Countdown to Italy: 3 Days. Sean arrives on Saturday morning, and we are taking off that evening for Rome. I've been looking forward to this for months! Hope it's worth all the hype! :)

1 comment:

Aunt Christine said...

Kristen, you didn't have to go all the way to England to have bubble and squeak. We have it every year with the leftovers from our St Patrick's Day dinner. It sure does make you bubble and squeak!! Have fun in Rome.