Friday, October 10, 2008

Preparations

Well... tomorrow is the big day! A whole week in Italy!

Proving that I am becoming LESS stuck in my ways than MORE in my old age, I've changed the plans completely... well, some were changed for me and others I chose to change on my own.

Just to avoid any awkward questions when you see only pictures of me when I post my Italy update, first things first. I'm going alone. Sean and I are taking some time to figure out if a long distance relationship is what we really want. So, that's that.

Second, I decided that if this isn't going to be a romantic getaway, I didn't really want to go to the romantic Amalfi Coast. So, that's the second change of plans. I cancelled my hotel reservations and have completely changed the plans. I'm heading to Florence for two days... the home of David, the Duomo, and all kinds of other good stuff.

Life is kind of funny sometimes. Just when you think you have it all figured out, you get knocked on your butt. But, that's not the time to sit and feel sorry for yourself. Nope, it's the time to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and say, "Man, that sucked, but thank goodness it's over". I'm still looking forward to this trip. I'm not looking forward to travelling alone again (see Stockholm entry... I believe the quote was "This is my last trip alone."). Fortunately, I have amazing collegues, some of whom are from Rome. So, "Plan B", as Stefano puts it, is in full effect. I'm still working out the details, but I should at least have a few people to meet for dinner on several nights.

It's all going to be okay. Time heals all wounds.

Pictures of this amazing trip to follow!

5 comments:

Susan Kelley said...

You are awesome! I'm glad you're still going because I can't wait to see the fun you get up to. Florence and Rome are both amazing-- so much to see and do, and it's good to hear you'll have some dinner hook-ups there. Have fun!

Carolyn said...

Keep you head up and enjoy the trip.

Can't wait for the pics!

Aunt Christine said...

You go girl. Enjooy the sites!

Mama said...

Kristen,

I am so glad that you didn't cancel your trip. You are going to love Italy! Definitely climb to the top of the Duomo in Florence. The view is worth all the hard work! I miss you bunches and can't wait to hear all about your trip.

You are an amazing, strong woman!

I'm going to be a Ropp! said...

I'm Michelle's sister...so I feel I have a right to stalk your blog, which, on occassion, I do. I hear Italy has gorgeous men, so enjoy it even if you are alone, because you'll have goregous guys to look at!