Sunday, October 5, 2008

Well, it was a week...

Not the best week since I've been here. I was sick all week, first, with the flu, and when that went away, a sore throat replaced it. This drives me crazy, because I had just gotten into a good workout schedule and was starting to see some results. I limited my activities to pilates and yoga this week, though I was tempted to do more. I am trying to listen to my body, but it's not telling me what I want to hear!

Next frustration... Dutch customer service strikes again. I went to the grocery store on Tuesday, and when I went to pay, my card wouldn't work. It's a debit card, so I thought it was maybe because I had just gotten paid and needed to transfer money over to my "current" account (we don't have checks here, so it's called "current" instead of "checking" - just a side note!). When I went online to do that, the screen told me that my account had been frozen, and that I needed to call customer service. So, I did. They told me that my card had been turned off because I had been trying to use it in a place with a lot of criminal activity - really? A grocery store? The only other place I had used it was the golf course... right, I guess a lot of criminals hang out there. So, that was a bit frustrating. Then, they told me that they could mail me a new card within 5 to 7 days, rather than just turning my card back on. They said I could still take cash out until that card arrived. When I reminded her that the reason I had gone online was to transfer money into my current account, she said, "Oh, well then getting cash will not be possible." AHHH!! Finally, my card arrived late in the week. Unlike at home, you can't just call and activate your card. You have to go into the bank... which is only open until 5... which is before I leave work. AHHHH!!! I knew a few banks were open on Saturday morning, so I took my card (and passport, which I found out the last time that you need to activate your card) with me on my run (I was feeling better, so I took advantage of the dry morning), hoping to find a bank that was open. I passed three, and zero were open. Hmmm... guess I'll have to find some time to find a bank during the week this week. This stuff just drives me nuts. I'm trying to be patient, but this is the one thing that I really can't get over... just the complete lack of convenience to do ANYTHING! Okay, deep breath...

There are a few other things going on right now that I'm having a hard time with, but I'm hanging in there. I think the difference between letting life get you down and getting through with just a few bumps is friends. I feel so lucky to have made some wonderful friends here, and also to have maintained relationships with so many amazing people both in Portland and in Ohio. It's amazing how friends know when you need a hug, a chat, or just a night away. To those of you who read this - thank you! You've been amazing to me, and I thank my lucky stars for each and every one of you.

I'll be visiting another new city tomorrow... I'm flying in to our Nike UK office in Newcastle to present the results of a consumer study I've been working on. I'm just staying for one day, but I'm looking forward to seeing what the Northern part of the UK is like. Saturday, it's on to Rome. The weather actually looks nice there, which will be a nice break from what we've had here lately. Pictures to come... :)

No comments: