Monday, October 19, 2009

Inspired...

I've recently had two experiences that have totally inspired me, and I want to share them with you...

The first: it was simple. I read a book. It's called Three Cups of Tea, written by Greg Mortenson & David Oliver Relin. I found this book when I was on my way back to Amsterdam after Christmas, and, as I can't pass up English books when I can get my hands on them, I snatched it up. I've been reading a ton, but hadn't picked this one up until October. I started reading when Em got here and couldn't put it down...

The book is about one man, Greg Mortenson, who has a goal of summiting K2, a mountain in Pakistan. He doesn't quite make it to his goal, and on his way down, he gets lost and stumbles upon a small Pakistani village that has never seen a foreigner before. When Greg sees the status of the community's school, he promises that he will return to build the community a school. The book is about his courageous efforts to bring schools (55 in total at the writing of the book) to the most remote parts of Pakistan, and, more specifically, the young girls that were denied an education otherwise. This book seriously inspired me. This was just one man, risking his own life for a cause he believes in. PLEASE READ THIS BOOK!

The second: Visiting the Nobel Peace Prize Museum in Oslo (where the award is presented). Inside of the museum, there was a special exhibit called "From King to Obama", that compares and contrasts the world that existed when King received the prize in 1964 to now (Obama was announced to have received the award earlier this month - he will come to Norway to accept the award on December 10th). Seeing how far the US has come was inspiring, but what was even more inspiring was seeing how the world is looking to US - the people of the United States - to set the stage for the next generation. It's a big honor - and a big responsibility.

I was so inspired at the museum that I bought a book about all of the people that have won the Nobel Peace Prize from the very first one in 1901 to present... just flipping through it, there is everything from the man who started the Red Cross to a woman who re-forested her community in Africa. It helps one to realize... that it only takes ONE to make a difference.

No comments: