Sunday, October 4, 2009

She's here...

Yippy!! My younger sister, Emily, arrived from Ohio yesterday! She got in around noon, and was such a trooper!! We had a nice lunch at home (I've been on a soup-making mission the past week or so... minestrone, pea soup, etc... yum!), and then ventured out into the city. I sometimes forget how foreign big cities can be, so I had to keep reminding myself to warn Em to look out for the micsellaneous bikes, trams, people, etc to look out for! We only had a few near misses! :) We walked around the city for a while, and then I introduced Em to a Dutch delicacy - bitterballen! :) These are little fried meat-gravyish balls. She liked them, and liked the Dutch beer we had as well, but we headed home shortly after that because jet lag was starting to kick in. We made a yummy pumpkin risotto for dinner (pumpkin is one of my FAVORITE things in the whole world!), and then settled in to watch my downloaded episode of Grey's. She did amazing - was up until 11pm, and then slept all the way through the night. She's training for a half marathon, so we got up this morning and went for an 11 mile run! It pretty much kicked my butt, but we had a fun time chatting and enjoying the beautiful weather. Heading out today for a canal cruise, Dutch pancakes, and whatever else comes our way! So nice to have a visitor from home!! :)


There is an exhibit at Museumplein with painted elephants... we liked this one because it was in Delft-style


Em with the bitterballen...

More to come...

2 comments:

Suzanne Blair said...

I want the pumpkin risotto recipie! I have been looking for one since I keep getting pumpkins with my csa veggies...have a great time with your sister!

Carolyn said...

So glad Em got to come visit you! Have a great time!