Saturday, October 31, 2009

Pumpkin Mania!

Okay, friends - let me just be honest. I love pumpkin. I love pumpkin in a BIG way. So, right around this time of year, I couldn't be happier. Well, I didn't THINK I could be any happier... until I got invited to participate in a pumpkin cook-off at work. I had been an honorary participant in the last cook-off, which had an eggplant theme. I just got to taste everything, but didn't get to actually make anything or judge. This time, I actually got to cook, which I love to do! :) I had a few ideas for recipes, but decided to do a pumpkin roll in the end. It was really fun to see what everyone did - we had 8 dishes in all, 4 main dishes and 4 desserts. Everything from pumpkin burgers to pumpkin curry to homemade pumpkin ice cream (complete with homemade cones - holy smokes!). It was good fun and good food! There were four judges, who judged the food based on originality, presentation, and taste. I ended up winning 3rd place, which felt like a big success after being up against such amazing dishes!! :) Can't wait for the next cook-off - ingredient TBD. :)


The spread


The judges - they were required to dress up :)


Dao with her pumpkin ice cream cone


Leslie won 1st prize, which was an apron that said "sexy woman" and has a picture of a hot lady dressed only in underwear... sometimes, I shake my head and smile, thinking "this would NEVER happen at work in the US." :)

No comments: