Sunday, August 17, 2008

Adventures in Amsterdam

Monday and Tuesday, I went to work while Mom and Dad did all the touristy things in Amsterdam. We carefully planned out the itineraries the nights before, to make sure they didn't get lost!! There were only a few mis-haps, but for the most part, they did great! I was so proud of them! The highlights of those days were the Rijksmusuem, Van Gogh Museum, Anne Frank House, and the Dutch Historical Museum.

Monday night, I came home from work, made dinner for my parents, and then we took the Red Light District Tour that I did when Anna and Travis were here. My parents really enjoyed it, and, since it was a different guide than when I went the last time, I even learned a few new things. I seriously thought my dad's eyeballs were going to pop out of their sockets as we walked past the famous "windows" in the red light district, and I had to grab his arm to get him to move along. Some things never change. :) My parents were really amazed by the variety of the women there - you can pretty much find every type. My new favorite fact - the oldest prostitute in Holland is 87 years old and still at it. I'm not sure if I'm impressed or disgusted. Anyways, it is what it is. :)
One of the coffeeshops in the Red Light district (Note: Coffee with a "c" = pot, Koffie with a "k" = coffee... important to know the difference!)
A statue in honor of the prostitutes in the Red Light District... The Dutch are pretty open-minded about all of this... I'm still not convinced

Tuesday night we went out for Indonesian food, which is really popular here because Indonesia used to be a Dutch colony. We had one of the "Rijstafels", or "rice tables", which include quite a variety of foods - sweet and spicy, meat and veggie, hot and cold. My parents quite enjoyed it. :)
About to get stuffed! :)

Check out all this food!!

No comments: