Sunday, August 17, 2008

Our Little Travel Angel

It's hard to believe that 10 days have gone by so quickly! I was so excited to go and get my parents at the airport. If you know me and my type A personality, you know I'm always early, and getting to the airport is no different. I was hoping to see my parents first, but, once again, my guests found me! I keep hoping to be the one to run up and greet the person as they come through the doors, but for some reason, I always go to the wrong doors!! Anyways, we eventually found each other, and it was so good to see them!! :) This was my mom's first trip back to Europe in 30 years (she, like me, had an adventurous spirit in her younger days), and my dad's first trip to Europe EVER! Little did I know that they almost had cancelled their trip - my dad had been having some terrible back pain, and my mom's knee was really acting up. Luckily, after 4 trips to the chiropractor in one week, my dad's back was better and they decided to come. My mom's knee was still hurting, however, and in Cincinnati, she asked one of the attendants at the ticket counter for some ice to ease the pain. There was an overbooking situation on the flight in coach, however there were extra seats in business class, and, because I think my mom looked like she was in so much pain, the attendant changed my parents to business class for their trip!!

Side note... over the years, my family has ALWAYS had bad travel luck... mostly me! Every single flight I took was delayed, or my bags got lost, or the airplane's defrosters didn't work, etc. etc. The first flight that actually went smoothly was when my grandmother passed away in February of 2007. I was in Thailand for work, and needed to get back to Ohio. It was a series of 5 flights in 36 hours, but I made it - actually EARLY and with all of my bags. Ever since then, we have all been taken care of whenever we fly. We always say that my grandma (or Gramma, as we called her) is our angel in heaven looking out for us. I'd say she was REALLY looking out for us this time. :) They were both able to recline all the way and get some rest, so they really had very little problems with jet lag. A miracle!! :)

No comments: