Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Spinners!!

Oh man!! They are back again! So... a little background...

I started getting "spinners" while I was a sophomore in college. The only way I can describe them is that it feels like the room is spinning, and my legs go numb. That year, during spring break, while everyone else was heading to Daytona Beach or Mexico, I spent the week in and out of the hospital, having numerous tests run... none of which produced any results that explained my situation. I thought it must be stress, and started going to a counselor on campus. After a few chats, the spinners were gone. hehe - not before totally blacking out in the shower in the dorm and waking up laying naked on the floor OUTSIDE the shower - oops!

Fast forward to last fall. I hadn't had spinners since I graduated from college, and, once again, last fall, I started getting them. Only these were accompanied by a lovely headache that lasted for 3 weeks. The culprit once again - nasty, nasty stress. It took a two -week trip to Asia to snap me out of it - amazing what not having to go to any meetings for two weeks will do to you. I managed to run a half marathon during this strange time - not feeling my legs for 10 of the 13 miles!! That is dedication (or sheer craziness - but I like dedication!).

A few weeks ago, when I was in Lille with Kayrn, I started getting something sort of similar - although this was just weakness in my legs... they would literally shake every time I stopped walking. I would say I'm out of shape, but, really, I run about 30 miles a week - I'm at least mildly in shape. Then, when I was in Prague, it happened again, but only worse. My legs were shaking so badly that I was SORE the next day! After I returned, the spinners and the numbness began. I think it's stress again... I'm having a lot of stress at work and outside of work right now. I'm working on several projects that are sort of extra-curricular in nature. But I love working on them! It's kind of nice to do something outside of my "day job". It's just that I also have to get my day job done. On top of that, I tend to internalize the feelings of those around me, and, let's just say, there have been a lot of bad things happening lately to the ones I love the most. :( I think all of it is just stacking up to cause these spinners again. This morning, I had to leave work because I literally had motion sickness from the room spinning. I'm not sure what to do - I've been to SO many doctors for this.

Okay, but you know me, I always find something FUNNY about every situation. So, part of my symptoms is that I always have a lot of neck and back pain when these things start kicking up. Well, Nike has a chiropractor on campus, and everyone told me to go to him. So, I made an appointment with him before I left this morning. The guy was honestly kind of cute (not as cute as you, Sean!!), and so, when he got done taking down my medical info and told me to stand up and take off my shirt, I was a little taken aback. Hello? What about a gown? What about some privacy? Doctors in the US (or am I just imagining this?) let you get undressed while they are NOT staring at you!!! So, anyways, I just sucked it up and pretended like it was perfectly normal to get nearly naked with a cute guy that is not my boyfriend staring at me! Seriously, he didn't even turn around! Anyways, after that, he proceeded to crack the hell out of my back, I put my clothes back on (again, with him just having a conversation with me), and then made my way home. Will I EVER get used to this??

So, please don't worry! I'm trying to take care of myself. I came home from work and relaxed as much as possible (peanut butter and jelly = YUM!). I was supposed to leave for London tomorrow for work, and I cancelled my trip. I'm totally caught up on the world news, as I've been watching the BBC for the past SEVEN HOURS! Anyone that can fill me in on the girl that is from the US but playing basketball for the Russian Olympic team - I'd love to know the details. Best of all, I'm going to have the loving care of my parents in a few short days! Pictures to come soon from our adventures in France!! :)

2 comments:

Michelle & Luke said...

KP!! I am so so sorry about your spinning. I will be praying for NO SPINS! hopefully a little mom & dad love will help a bit!

PS- maybe the chiro guy just thought you were hot? I think that is CREEPY.

Carolyn said...

Take care of yourself. I am sure seeing your Mom and Dad will help too.