Saturday, August 30, 2008

A New Angel

I know that the expectation for my new update is going to be this: a great race with Hood to Coast, a wonderful reunion with my amazing boyfriend Sean, fun times with my girlfriends, and great meetings at World Headquarters. My trip back to Portland has been all of that, but this blog is about none of that. I'll update my blog with more about that later, but this post is dedicated to my new angel - my grandfather, Emil Triglia.

My grandfather was an amazing guy. Born in Italy in the 1920s, he and his family came to the US in search of a better life when he was the young age of 7... and what a life he had. If I can have only half the accomplishments of this great man in my life, I think I'd consider myself a success. He was a college graduate at a time when college wasn't necessarily as important as it is today. He served our country in World War II. He married my grandmother, Claire, at 27, had 5 wonderful children with her, and loved her all the days of his life. He was a dedicated grandfather and gave back to his community with countless volunteer hours after his retirement. Despite getting on in years, neither his energy nor his cute little smile faded until the past few years... but even after he was unable to walk, his smile remained. He lived a full, honorable life - truly the American dream.

Grandpa passed away this past Monday, one day short of his 87th birthday. He was surrounded with his children and passed easily. He leaves behind 5 children and their spouses (all of which have been married for over 20 years - what role models!) and 14 grandchildren.

While it's always hard to say goodbye, it brings me comfort to know that he is finally with my grandmother. I think that her death 16 years ago was the worst day of my grandfather's life. I've known few couples that looked so in love for so many years, and despite all this time, his eyes still lit up whenever he saw a picture of her.

Luckily, I was in Portland when he died, so the trip to New Jersey wasn't as difficult as it could have been. I flew in on Thursday morning for the wake, and was so happy to be able to give my mother a hug. I stayed on Friday for the funeral and the military burial (which was such an amazing surprise to me and a great honor and tribute for my grandfather). I came back to Portland on Friday night. It's been a whirlwind, but I am positive that I did the right thing.

Please keep my grandfather and family in your prayers. Thanks to everyone for all of the support!

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

You know I am thinking of you guys. Sorry to hear about your Grandpa. It was good that you were in Portland and able to get home quick.