Monday, May 4, 2009

PDX!

Ah, my favorite city in the US! When I planned my trip, I figured that I couldn't fly all the way "across the pond" and NOT visit Portland. So, the Monday after the wedding, I flew to Portland on Southwest (which, by the way, I wish I had flown on more often when I was living in the US - fantastic!) I promise I have a brain in my head, but a quick story for you... I had a three hour layover in Chicago, so I felt like I had PLENTY of time. I quickly checked the gate for my flight to Portland, then got lunch, checked e-mail, and read my book. It was getting pretty close to the time for my connection to leave, and there had been no announcement. Finally, about 20 minutes before we were supposed to TAKE OFF, I decided to check if there had been a gate change. I realized at that point that when I had checked the gate the first time, I had been looking at the ARRIVALS instead of the departures, and not only was I at the wrong gate, but the WRONG TERMINAL!!! Oh my goodness!! I had to run through the airport, but I made it just in time to my gate! Wouldn't that have been silly if I had missed my flight after sitting at the wrong gate for 3 hours!!

I am so blessed to have many great friends in Portland, and it is always a struggle for me to feel like I make enough time for each of them. I always leave feeling like I wish I had just a few more hours, and really feeling homesick.

My dear friend Amy Smith picked me up at the airport. She has a super crazy schedule right now, and was flying out the very next day, so this was the only time we had together. What a wonderful friend to drive all the way to the airport just to drive me downtown to drop me off with Leslie, another of my best friends. But, she did just that. It was so wonderful to see her smiling face waiting for me as I came out of the secure area. We had a nice chat on the way downtown, and then she left me with Leslie. Les lives a little outside of Portland in a town called St. Helens. It was so good to catch up with her, her husband, Justin, and their son (and my godson), Samuel. It's amazing now that my friends are starting to have children of their own - it's only been since November that I've seen everyone, but all of the kids are noticeably bigger, smarter, and more fun! :)


"Aunt Pitty" and Samuel


The Rush Family - thanks for the hospitality!

Les dropped me off the next morning at my friend Michelle Wald's house on the early side (um, I'm not quite sure how all of my friends do it - I think the real title for working mom should be wonder woman - seriously!), and then Michelle and I went for a nice run on the waterfront. SO miss my running buddies! That day, I didn't go into the office, because I was looking at a few condos downtown with my realtor. I think I found one that I like, but I'm kind of waiting to make an offer until I know that I have a job (official announcement is on May 31st - keep your fingers crossed for me!). That night, I had a nice dinner with some old friends, Kayle and David, at my favorite pub in Portland - Blue Moon. Oh, how I miss hippy-watching!! :)

Wednesday and Thursday were very similar - working at WHQ followed by Mexican food. :) We don't really have good Mexican food here, so I have to get my fill when I'm home. :) I got to spend some more time with friends, including Raelee, one of my old running buddies that is having some back problems right now. It's hard to see someone that was once the fittest people I know go through a situation where they can barely walk. My thoughts are with you, my friend!!


Burrito AKA Heaven

Portland was absolutely beautiful... all the cherry blossoms were blooming, and when the leaves were falling, it seriously looked like pink snow... see what I mean:


Couldn't resist a picture of this beautiful street... which may, this summer, become the street that I live on!

I stayed with Michelle on Tuesday and Wednesday (thanks, girly), and then stayed with another wonderful friend, Skye, on Thursday. Yet another amazing mom, wife, friend, and colleague. She actually made an egg and toast breakfast for 3 adults, a baby breakfast for her adorable little girl, Maren, ran, and got everyone ready and out the door by 7:15. Seriously, I can barely get MYSELF out the door. I have a lot to learn from these girls.

Friday, my book club had their montly meeting, which was PERFECT, since I was in town. I really miss these ladies and a chance to get together and drink wine... oh, um, I mean, talk about books. :) I actually did read the book this time, and it was quite impactful. It was called Stubborn Twig, and was about 3 generations of a Japanese American family that immigrated to the US in 1908. It went into great detail about the internment camps during WWII, which I was embarrassed to admit that I really didn't know much about. Ugh. That was a terrible thing that our government once did. But, I'm glad I read it, even though it made me sick.

Saturday, my flight was originally scheduled for 4pm... however, I got an e-mail that it had been moved up to 12. Um, how is that possible? So, I had 4 hours less to spend with my friends. BIG BUMMER! I had been planning to do my long run that morning (RoPa is quickly approaching), but my longtime friend and running buddy, Michelle Middlebrooks, gave birth to a BEAUTIFUL baby girl, Johonna Marie (I think that was the final verdict on the middle name...) on Friday. I decided that seeing my friend's child in her first days would be WAY more memorable (and a whole lot more enjoyable) than a 10 mile run. So, that's what we did. :) Michelle was totally normal, and has turned the switch over to "mom mode" without skipping a beat. Her husband, Luke, and father were so proud of their new little bundle of joy. I'm so happy for their little family.


KP with Johonna


Congratulations, Luke and Michelle!!!

It was such a great trip - just full of happy times and great friends. I miss you all so much and I can't wait to come back!! Thank you for spending so much time with me! Until next time... x

2 comments:

Susan Kelley said...

Damn, and I thought I packed a lot into a trip! Great to get to see you. Let me know if you need some peanut butter inter-officed.

Michelle & Luke said...

aw, love you friend