Sunday, May 17, 2009

Taking the bad with the good...

Okay... I know that I complain about Dutch customer service... a lot. But, I think I have a valid reason - it's really, really BAD!!! A prime example occured on Friday evening. Thursday, I had gone to our local "Target-esque" store, Blokker, to buy some yoga and pilates DVD's that were on sale. I get home, pop one in, and, though it is in Dutch, I'm enjoying it... until about 5 minutes into it, the screen went all scrambly and my DVD player totally froze up. I tried this 3 times, and, frustrated, tried the other one. Same thing happened. Well, I thought, I'm taking these suckers back! So, Friday, I left work early so I could get to Blokker before 6 (oh yes, everything closes at 6 here - VERY convenient for those of us that actually have to work!). I got there, and explained my story to the guy at the video desk. He decides that he needs to try the DVD's before he will take them back... and, they work. I'm pretty frustrated, because they definitely did not work on my DVD player. He told me he would have to talk with his manager about what to do. He comes back, and I know the news is bad. He tells me that because of all the piracy that happens with DVD's, he can't take them back. I was furious! These are the things that just drive me crazy. In the US, this would have been an easy return, no questions asked. I definitely am not a DVD pirate! Oh boy! So, I left in a huff, swearing in my mind that I would get the heck out of this country as soon as I could. Don't worry, I haven't booked any plane tickets yet, because...

Saturday, I woke up with a better attitude. I went for a nice long run, enjoying some beautiful sunshine. I had a few things I wanted to do, but mostly wanted to relax, as the past few weeks have been pretty stressful at work with the impending layoffs. So, first stop was the pharmacy. I had a prescription that needed to be filled, and was prepared for yet another sticky situation. But... guess what? The girl was actually helpful. And not only helpful, but friendly. And, guess what else? So, our taxes may be astronomical here (52%), but that does buy you something... my prescription for 6 months worth of this medication was only 25 euros - without any insurance. In the US, even with insurance, the same amount would have been at least 80 dollars. So, okay, I was feeling a little more re-assured with Dutch society at this point. Leaving the store with a smile on my face, I made my way to a cute little garden shop down the street. And, guess what? Another helpful and very friendly girl was there to help me. And, I spoke to her entirely in Dutch. That totally made me feel good, because it means I'm acually learning something and getting more confident with my Dutch speaking. So, I bought a bunch of flowers, and then went home and planted them on my terrace. Planting flowers makes me happy. :)

And here is the finished product:


A few dinner with friends and a trip to the movies to see Angels and Demons rounded out the weekend. All in all, it has been great.

Kind of the calm before the storm... tomorrow we are supposed to find out more about the re-structuring at Nike. So far, all we know is that 240 jobs at the European Headquarters where I am working will be eliminated (out of about 2000). So, please keep my friends and I in your thoughts. Regardless of what happens, this is going to be an emotional week.

All the best to you and yours! xx

2 comments:

Susan Kelley said...

You're fluent in Dutch! That is so awesome. And I am thoroughly impressed with your Parisian driving.

My region is supposed to have meetings all week, so I might not know til Friday... Ugh. I'm thinking of you and I'll let you know as things happen here!

Michelle & Luke said...

your deck looks great! i wish I could come visit...i had such a good time w/you there last year!